Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Musical Inspiration




The funky, white (Jewish?) boyz are killing me right now1 Go buy these records. BUY THEM!! First is the Beastie Boys instrumental (that's right!) 'The Mix Up'. Over the past several releases, there's always been a little funky gem on there - now you got a whole album of it!
The other thing needs a little apology because I got sucker punched by NPR, but in a good way. Let me exlpain. On Sunday, 7/8/07, they ran this bit on weekend edition. I don't 100%subscribe to the NPR orthodoxy - blindly Tivo-ing Ira Glass TV shows and holding my breath until the next uprorious episode of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. That being said, I listen because I think much of what they (the NPR/Greenpeace/Amnesty/tax&spendliberals/environmetalistas /etc.) just makes good sense. So then I hear this funky action and this young guy talking about how his dad was an A&R man for Atlantic Records in the 60's and 70's, and, well, I was hooked. The album is called Cinco de Mowo and it's a joyous mish-mash of big band, latin, and funk. CHECK IT OUT!!

No comments: